Saturday, July 28, 2012

Summer Reading: The Good, The Bad and The Meh

So, it's no secret that I am an avid reader. Lover of books. Fan of the written word. You get the idea.

Admittedly, I have slacked off on my book reviews.  It's not that I haven't been reading.  I have.  It's just that life happens.  I think I'll get to it later. Then, I end up forgetting about it. *Sigh.*

BUT! FEAR NOT, DEAR READER!!

Ever heard of Christmas in July?!  Well, this is just like that!  Except for there is no tree, or presents, or crazy Aunt Helen, or Christmas turkey...  But still!!  I am making it up to you with this post.  I am going to tell you all the books I have read.  I am going to give you The Good, The Bad and The Meh.

THE GOOD

These books are The Good books.  And by good, I mean I. Could. Not. Put. These. Books. Down.  These books kept me awake into the early morning hours many a night because I just had to find out what happened!!  (Side note: These books should really be The Great, but it doesn't sound as good.  I'm trying to be witty.  Just go with it.)

My favorite books are YA (i.e. young adult) series.  I really enjoy the dystopian society and paranormal romance series.  Most of these books are paranormal romance as well as series. *Schwing!*

The chemistry between the main love interests draws you in and makes you wonder if they end up together.  The plots are very creative and have an element of mystery to solve.  There is also the paranormal aspect which I dig. So you are not only invested as to what happens with the main characters but how the story ends.

Without further ado, in no particular order, here are The Good:
  • Half-breed by Jennifer L. Armentrout
  • Obsidian by Jennifer L. Armentrout
  • Carrier of The Mark by Leigh Fallon
  • The Body Finder by Kimberly Derting
  • Hallowed by Cynthia Hand (Unearthly series #2)
  • The Girl In The Steel Corset by Kady Cross
  • Cinder by Marissa Meyer
  • Starcrossed by Josephine Angelini 
  • Angelfire by Courtney Allison Moulton

THE BAD


These books are The Bad.  And by bad, I mean they were terrible.  I couldn't even bring myself to read the whole book.


These books had such a great premise!  Some of them have even won major awards! The book cover description sounded so cool and I really, really wanted to like them.  But once I started reading them, it just didn't grab me. I didn't care for them.

In the past, I would have made myself finish a book that I started.  These days, time is precious so I don't waste it with a book I don't like.


  • Pure by Julianna Baggott
  • The Monstrumologist by Rick Yancy
  • The Book of Blood and Shadow by Robin Wasserman

THE MEH


I read these books in their entirety but I was not really overwhelmed.  All had interesting premises but I never really felt hooked. I thought they were decent but I don't know if I'd read the next in the series. Maybe I would read the next in the series if I didn't have anything else to read at the moment.


  • Dark Eden by Patrick Carman
  • Die for Me by Amy Plum
  • Need by Carrie Jones
  • Everneath by Brodi Ashton
  • Gone by Michael Grant

Currently, I am reading Unraveling by Elizabeth Norris and I am loving it!  Looking forward to reading Shadow of Night (All Souls #2) by Deborah Harkness, The Mark of Athena (Heroes of Olympus #3) by Rick Riordan and  Rapture (Fallen #4) by Lauren Kate.


Hopefully, I have given you a couple of books you would enjoy and some to avoid. Who knows?!  Maybe you would dig the books I don't! In any case, I hope you find at least one from this list.


Happy reading!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading and commenting!