Saturday, November 17, 2012

Memory? What Memory?

This is your brain before kids...

People who have kids can divide their lives into two parts - Before Kids and After Kids.

Before kids, I was a different person than I am now.  Not necessarily better or worse, just different.  (Even though, I'd like to think I am a more patient person now that I have kids.)

You see, before kids, I was forgetful. (You thought I was going to say I had a good memory? Ah, no. I am going to give it to you straight, pilgrim. I am going to shoot from the hip. I am going... *Ahem.* I got carried away there.)

As I was saying, before kids, I was forgetful.  I would excitedly begin to tell Hubby a story when he interrupts by saying, "Michelle, you have told me this story five times already."

To which I would snap, "Well, just pretend like it's the first time you're hearing it!"

Now, after kids, I am still forgetful.  I make a grocery list and get home to realize I have forgotten half of the things on my list. Also, everytime I go to the grocery, I think we need more mustard. I get home and we already have four bottles of mustard. We don't even use mustard! WHO DOES THIS?!

I also lose my train of thought. Do you like cheese? I love all kinds of cheeses....

What was I saying?  Oh right!

I would like to think that some of the few memory brain cells that were still effective passed on to my children during birth.

On Halloween, we watch a five minute cartoon clip about a square pumpkin saving a scarecrow who is in danger of being burned by fire. They only watched five minutes because I quickly realized this may be too scary for the boys so I changed the channel.

Last night, J says, "Mama, can you tell me about the pumpkin that saves the scarecrow?"

Whaaa??  He remembers that crazy little clip that he saw weeks ago! He saw it only one time. One. Time. I can't remember things I've seen a million times! Except for my uncanny ability to remember actors, the movies they starred in and movie quotes. Yeah for useless talents!

Hooray! The few memory brain cells that did still work passed on to my kids.  This makes me feel better. I may not have all my mental ducks in a row but my boys do.

Fast forward to this morning, Baby L is playing with Legos as he has a MILLION times before. He knows he is not supposed to put things in his mouth. Baby L decides to stick a small one in this mouth.

Okay, so we may need to revise my previous statement.  Maybe both my boys didn't get all of my working memory cells. 

Let's just say the "jury's still out'.

11 comments:

  1. If I could remember half the things I'm supposed to, I wouldn't be the only one still in pajamas at the end of the day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Paige, I can totally relate! My memory was adequate before kids but now, *Pfft* forget it! :)

      Delete
  2. My toddler ate a green crayon yesterday. Someone pointed out that geniuses often choose green...but may not eat crayons. I believe that is probably reserved for super geniuses ;) I used to be a steel trap before baby...now it's more of a noisy fog for sure.

    Found you on the blog hop! Happy to have found you. Will be sure to follow along!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jen, love the story about your son eating the green crayon! Hilarious!
      Thanks for stopping by and signing up! Welcome aboard the crazy train... ;)

      Delete
  3. OMG, I know my daughter took all of my memory cells, she can remember things that happened 2 years ago...and she is only nine...yet she can't remember to clean her room....hmmm.... I think I'm being duped...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bethany, I think she is pulling a fast one on you! But my little ones can sure remember things that I can't. It's crazy!
      Thanks for visiting! :)

      Delete
  4. my son's memory is amamzing...I think he stole mine while in utero. I even lost memory from before I was prego...is that normal? LOLOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Solidarity, mama! Solidarity! Misery loves company and all that.
      Good to *see* you! :)

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. *Shakes head sadly.* Paula, I too am a maker of lists. Endless lists and lists to be completed. But someday!! Someday I will! :)

      Delete
  6. Excellent beat ! I would like to apprentice while you amend your website, how could i subscribe for a
    blog web site? The account helped me a acceptable deal.
    I had been a little bit acquainted of this your broadcast provided bright
    clear concept

    Check out my weblog; take a look
    my web site :: made a post

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading and commenting!