Saturday, March 23, 2013

You Just Love Me For My Cupcakes


Hmm, let's see. Looks like I'll need some flour, butter, sugar, sour cream, bananas and walnuts.  Maybe some vanilla, baking soda and baking powder. Where did I put that large bowl?

I hear a knock at the front door. The door opens, followed by someone walking back toward the kitchen. 

I know those familiar footsteps all too well. They have entered this kitchen more times than I can count.

"Maddie. Maddie! Where are you?" a voice calls out to me.

Using my wrist to push back my hair, I answer, "In the kitchen!" as she enters the doorway.

"Hey Molly." I say. "What's up?"

Molly surveys the kitchen, taking in all of the baking supplies and the cupcakes. Leaning her hip against the island, she says, "Maybe I should ask you the same thing." Arching her eyebrow and crossing her arms, she says, "But I think I already know the answer to that."

Finding the bowl I needed on top of refridgerator, I reach up to grab it. Turning around, I reply, "I just wanted to make some cupcakes."

Molly isn't buying it. "Cupcakes, uh huh." she says. "A normal person makes one type of cupcakes. You have two different kinds of cupcakes, two dozen each. And if I'm not mistaken," she says leaning over to look at the counter, "you are making another batch."

Adding the ingredients to the bowl, I answer, "Okay, fine. I'm baking. And yes, I bake when I'm upset. But you already know that, don't you, Mols?" I throw her a pointed look over my shoulder.

She chuckles and reaches for a cupcake. Swiping the icing from the top with her finger, she inquires, "So what kind do we have today?"

Turning around to Molly, I place the bowl on the island counter. Pointing, I say, "Those are red velvet cupcakes with cream cheese icing. You have a salted caramel cupcake with caramel butter cream. And, I'm making some banana cupcakes with molasses icing."

After taking a bite out of her cupcake, Molly says, "I am so glad you are my best friend. Seriously."

Laughing, I say, "Uh huh. You just love me for my cupcakes."

I finish pouring the first batch of cupcakes, put them in the oven and set the timer. I hop up on one of the kitchen stools beside Molly and grab a salted caramel cupcake for myself.

Looking at me like a scientist looking at a specimen under the microscope, she asks, "So?"

With a mouth full of cupcake, I reply, "So what?"

Molly swats my shoulder with her hand. "So what?! You know what! Why all this?" she asks gesturing grandly to the kitchen. "What has you worked up, Maddie?"

Sighing, I answer, "It's a long story."

Without missing a beat, Molly says, "Does it involve Jake and Sam?"

Almost choking on a mouth full of cupcake, I grab a bottle of water and take a few gulps. After I am somewhat composed, I say, "Molly! How in the world did you know that?"

She gives me a look that says "Are you kidding me?" Molly says, "Well, you have had a crush on him since freshman year of high school and he has always had the hots for you. I figured when you two saw each other again that it might get interesting." She grins a big Cheshire cat grin.

"Okay, Molly. Yes, I did have a crush on him in high school but that was a long time ago. And I find it hard to believe he has been pining away for me for all these years."

Molly makes a clicking noise with her tongue. "Maddie, you don't believe anyone would have the hots for you. But trust me, he liked you. But Jake thought you were out of his league."

"Molly, how exactly do you know that?" I have a knot in my stomach. Because even as the question leaves my mouth, I think I already know the answer.

"Look Maddie, Jake, Quinn, Michael and I have become good friends. We hang out a lot. The night before you were due home, we were hanging out at The Mill. I had a sneaking suspicion so I asked Jake about it." Molly states.

"You what?!" I blurt out.

Laughing, Molly says, "Relax Maddie. It wasn't a big deal. I mentioned you were coming home and immediately he perked up. I had a feeling about it so I asked him. Jake said he had wanted to ask you out since the fifth grade but felt you were out of his league. So I felt it was my duty to enlighten him that you have been hoping to jump his bones for about the same amount of time."

Groaning, I put my head in my hands. Cheese and biscuits! I am mortified. So embarrassed. But, I have to hand it to her. It DID get results.

Lifting my head up, I look at Molly. "Oh Molly! I wish I'd have known."

Shrugging, Molly asks, "Why? It got you results didn't it? Have you two shagged yet or what?!"

Feeling my face turn bright red, I say, "Molly! You are killing me! Of course, we have not shagged. Jeez O Pete!"

Molly looks smug and says, "So? Give me the juicy details. Because that boy is yummy. I'd like to put him on a plate and sop him up with a biscuit. Mmmm."

Laughing, I say, "Oh Mols." But because she is my best friend and because I have thought about it probably about a million times, I continue, "Yes, Jake is yummy. We have had a few make out sessions. And I'm not gonna lie, it was exactly as I thought it would be. Perfect."

Molly says, "So what's the problem?"

Incredulous, I say, "Molly, what do you mean what's the problem? The problem is Sam."

Molly waves her hand in the air, dismissing the issue. "Maddie, Sam is a good guy. You two have been friends for forever so naturally you would get together eventually. But Jake, well, he has been the one you have been dreaming of for a long time."

"I don't think it's that simple. I really care about Sam. He is a good guy, in fact, the best. I enjoy spending time with him and we have a lot in common." I respond.

Raising an eyebrow, Molly says, "But does seeing him make your heart race? When he kisses you, do you feel like you have melted into Jello? Does he make your heart smile?"

Answering honestly, I say, "Okay, I do feel that way when I'm with Jake. But we haven't really spoken much over the past several years until the last two weeks. It doesn't make sense. It's crazy! And as for Sam, we are a lot like. We make sense. Sam and I make sense."

Molly winks at me and replies, "Who wants to make sense anyway? The crazies have all the fun."

For another part of the puzzle, here's a piece with Maddie and her best friend, Molly. Hope you are enjoying reading it as much I as enjoy writing it!

3 comments:

  1. Excellent! I am enjoying reading it, maybe more than you are enjoying writing it! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So you can see many sportsman wear prescription sports sunglasses in competitions
    on TV s. If either team drops the orange, it has become
    a top iPhone game rather quickly. Farming SimulatorI have
    talked about farming simulator before in another post.

    The Olympics have over the years reflected the changing balance of the world:
    the decline of the Soviet empire, the rise of China.

    Here is my weblog :: web page

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the stories that include the girl who thinks no one wants her and a hot guy that has secretly wanted her for years!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading and commenting!