Sunday, May 26, 2013

Say Something

Sitting in my spot on our old, worn green chenille couch with my favorite orange velour blanket, I look up from my book to glance out the window. The sun it starting to set. 

Taking in the oranges, reds and pinks, I let my mind wonder for a bit. Two weeks. It's been two weeks since I have seen Sam. It feels like something's missing.

And Jake. 

Two weeks isn't a long time in the history of time. But why does it feel like an eternity? 

Because I miss him. And if I'm being honest, I miss him a lot.

I turn away from the window and look back down at my book. I have been trying to read the first chapter for over an hour.

Sighing, I toss my book on the coffee table and snuggle further under the covers.

"You have been staring at that same page for over an hour", a voice tells me from the hallway.

Glancing up, I see my mom walk in to the living room. She's dressed in her blue scrubs and she's putting her hair in a knot.

Looking at my mom, I can't help but notice how much we are alike. We have the same wavy, brown hair and green eyes. However, my eyes always seem to be cautious, whereas mom's are always full of mischief.

Plopping down on the couch beside me, she says, "A penny for your thoughts?"

I answer, "I'm not sure I know where to begin."

Mom quickly answers, "Well, if I had to bet, I'd say it has to do with Sam and Jake."

Shaking my head, I say, "How did you know?"

She smiles her knowing smile and replies, "Oh honey. A mama just knows." She playfully pokes me in the ribs and says, "Spill it."

Sighing, I say, "Let's see. There are two guys who I care about and I am not sure what to do about it."

Laughing, mom states, "That is the lamest explanation about being torn between with two guys that I have ever heard."

I jokingly say, "Don't you have someplace to be."

Mom smiles and says, "Maddie, you have always been so cautious and so orderly. Every since you were little. I know you like for everything to make sense and be nice and neat." She reaches up to tuck a wayward strand of hair behind my ear. 

She continues, "The thing about love, Maddie, is that you cannot wrap it up in a nice, neat package with a big, red bow. Love is messy. Love spills over the edges and gets everywhere and into everything. And that's okay! That's part of the magic."

"So...", I say.

Shaking her head, mom says, "So...you are a smart woman, Maddie. You already know the answer to your question. But this time, you have to listen to your heart, not your head."

"You are going to make someone a great mom one day," I quip.

Standing up to leave, mom says, "Yes, I will. And she will be the luckiest daughter ever." Leaning down to give me a kiss on the head, she says, "Enjoy your evening. I'm headed to the hospital for a twelve hour shift. See you later." 

Listening to the front door close, I snuggle further down into the covers. Maybe I should bake something. I always feel better if I bake something.

There's a knock at the door. As I pad into the foyer to answer the door, I wonder what mom forgot.

Opening the door, I see that it's not mom at all. It's Jake.

His hands brace the doorway. His hair is longer, falling into his eyes. He raises his head to look at me with those chocolate brown eyes. His gaze wonders up my frame and lands on my face. My face heats up and my skin is on fire just from his scrutiny. Suddenly, I wish I didn't have on my grey tank and my Sponge Bob pajama pants.

"Maddie, the way I see it, is we need to clear the air," Jake states.

"Jake, what are you doing here?" I manage to say.

He starts walking towards me. I have no choice but to walk backwards down the hallway. He continues, "It's been two weeks. Two long and horrible weeks. We haven't seen each other and I wonder why that is." Jake starts gesturing wildly. "I ask myself, 'Jake, why is Maddie avoiding you? Is it because she hates your guts? Can't stand the mere sight of you?'

Jake is getting closer now. We are about two feet apart when I find myself up against the island in the kitchen. He is closing the distance fast. I know I need to find the words quickly or all rational thinking will go out the window.

Jake says, "No, that can't be right because I know she enjoys being with me. I make her smile. I make her laugh. I know her body responds to mine." With that, he runs his finger up my arm making my breath hitch.

Jake smirks as if to prove his point.

"Jake," I whisper.

He continues as if I haven't spoken. Jake states, "I want to be with you, Maddie. I want to hang out and watch old movies. I want to work together fixing up the old lodge. I want to make you laugh. I want to comfort you when you are upset. I want to support you in your decisions. I want you in my bed every night. I want you, Maddie. I know it. I have known it for a long time."

I am staring at Jake. My heart is hammering in my chest so loudly I am sure he can hear it. I keep staring into those brown eyes. He's standing close to me, so close. I can feel his breathe on my face. It's hard to think. It's hard to form coherent thoughts.

Jake reaches out towards me, then withdraws his hand. He clenches his hands into fists at his sides as if to keep from touching me.

"Say something," Jake whispers. 

I'm baaackkkk! This is another fiction piece with Maddie and Jake. New to this series? Check out this first excerpt with the two of them here, with more here, here, here, here, here, and here.

4 comments:

  1. This is gooooood! I didn't realize you were a fiction writer too! Awesome! I am part of a fiction writing group - we write each Friday. You should check out my Friday fiction friends posts... maybe you'd want to join us?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the kind words, Kat! I'll hop on over to check out your Friday fiction group. Sounds like fun! :)

      Delete
  2. OOOOH! Good one! But WAAAAAY too short and I'm dying for more! WHAT HAPPENS NEXT???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, foxy mama! Well, I'm working on the next part as we speak...

      Delete

Thanks for reading and commenting!