Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Team Mossey

When I say 'yellow', I mean 'YELLOW'.

In an effort to prepare for a might-be future move, Hubby has started painting the inside of the house. All of our walls are yellow (which I love) but I realize it is not a neutral color. (I get that not a lot of people would like it.)

I love my house. I love the layout. I love the number of bedrooms and bathrooms. I love my big kitchen. I love my great room and our hard wood floors. I love the location of our house. We are close to tons of conveniences.

I am a certified 'Burb Lover'.

What I don't love is our school district. J has one more year of preschool, then he is off to kindergarten. (Woo, boy! I promised myself I wouldn't do this! I'm feeling verklempt. Give me a minute. Talk amongst yourselves...)

Even though we are a stone's throw from a really good elementary school, we are not districted to go there. They have us driving several miles away to take J to kindergarten. Because, sure that makes since. Here is a really awesome school next door, but let's drive across town to take you to another school.

I think our public school officials went drinking one night and after being decidedly three-sheets to the wind, they thought it was a good idea to map out the school districts. Insanity.

The thought of moving makes me break out into a cold sweat and increases my blood pressure to stroke level. I mean we had a bunch of stuff before kids, but now. Cheese and biscuits! The amounts of stuff borders on ridiculous. (Hoarders? Hoarders anyone?)

However, I want my kid to be in a good school and since we are able to move into a better school district, I know it needs to be done. I want to give them every opportunity to succeed academically.

So, Hubby works to paint the inside of the house and I work on keeping the kids entertained so they won't mess up said paint. Team Mossey!

Luckily, it's been really warm lately so I can take the kids outside and keep them busy while Hubby paints.

Now, at first glance, this may seem like a piece of cake. And for the first hour or so, it is. (Remember, they have tiny attention spans.)

First 30 minutes. Sandbox, Swings, Slide, Play fort, Soccer, Baseball, Basketball, Tag, Hide-and-Seek, Climb trees, Little kids pool! (Yes, this all takes place in only 30 minutes.)

For the next 30 minutes, you have to bring out the big guns. Spider-man sprinkler, Automatic bubble maker, Popsicles, Motorized Jeep! (Yes, these things are amazing, but they too can only hold their attention span for so long...)

As we approach the end of the first hour, the next 30 minutes require some serious creativity! Brave knights (kids) in the castle (fort) fighting the dragon (mama), Hungry giant (mama) goes looking for hiding kids, Superheros (all of us) vs. Bad guys!

We are closing in on an hour and a half. I'm too hot and tired to think of anything else, but I dig down deep and come up with some. Count the blades of grass, Pick up all the leaves, Throw rocks at the trees, Count the cars that drive by, Dump sand in the kids pool!

By this time, not only are the kids exhausted but I am too. 

Using my super powers, I manage to get the kids inside and upstairs without touching any of the wet paint or painting tools. I wash their hands, strip them down to their skivvies, give them a snack and plop them down to watch a half hour of Winnie the Pooh. Then I fall into a lifeless heap onto the bed so I can rest for a few minutes.

*Sigh.* 

You are exhausted just thinking about it, aren't you?

But, it is summertime so we can find lots of stuff to do. 

Plus, we only have a two-story home with four bedrooms so it won't take long at all to paint. 

Right? RIGHT?!?!

2 comments:

  1. Wonderful post...I really like your blog.^^
    Maybe follow each other on bloglovin?
    Let me know follow you then back.
    Lovely greets nessa

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading and commenting!