Tuesday, April 15, 2014

It's Always Been You


We stand facing each other across the room. He leans against the wall with his arms folded across his chest. His face is an angry scowl.

The moonlight shines on his white blond hair usually so expertly styled is now tousled, hair hanging over his forehead. His grey eyes seem lit by a fire within. The scar on his face seems oddly in sync on his beautiful, predatory face. He is trying to go for a posture of ease but I can tell by the look on his face that he is keeping his temper in check - barely.

"You shouldn't be here." He snaps.

"And where should I be?" I question.

Grinding his teeth together, Griffin looks at me from across the room. Reigning in his temper. Assessing me. Calculating his next move.

"I've done things." He says bluntly. "I've done horrible, awful, despicable things."

"You did what you needed to survive." I say confidently.

Cocking his head to one side, he responds, "Is that the reason?"

I swallow nervously. He's trying to intimidate me. 

I won't let him.

Seeing his advantage, he pushes himself off he wall and stalks towards me.

"One guy tried to take my can of food. He lost his hand. Another guy was dumb enough to go after my brother. He got a blade to he eye." He declares forcefully.

Then he is is front of me.

"And for this," he says, pointing to the scar that runs from the corner of his left eye to his jaw, "the other guy got one to match - from his crotch to his sternum."

I force myself to look him in the eye. He may be tough, but so am I.

I'm not scared of him.

"Then he deserved it." I say quietly.

His eyes widen a fraction of an inch. The only visible sign that he's affected by what I said.

Taking a step back, he looks at me, really looks at me. I wonder what he sees. I wonder what he's thinking.

"I'm just trying to protect you." He admits.

"It's too late for that." I state.

His face is unreadable. He is a fortress - locked down tight, no way in.

I've come this far. No turning back now.

"It's always been you." I say.

His face softens.

"Afton," he breathes my name as if a prayer.

And right then, I know.

I know my heart will never again belong to me.

So, I had this scene in my head about this rough, predatory guy and this seemingly innocent girl stuck on my head.

I kept thinking about it and thinking about. And thinking about it. I just had to write it down.

Whew!

I feel better now.

What do you guys think?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading and commenting!